Monday, August 17, 2009

SATURDAY, AUGUST 15TH AT FERGUS RALLY











After another continental breakfast, those of us on the Executive Committee gathered for the semi-annual Executive Board (bored!) Meeting. After three hours (yawn!) the major decision was that we have enough money in the Treasury and won't need to raise dues next year. Our dues are only $10 per year and Roadtrek Motorhomes gives us some compensation each year. After the long morning, I "chilled out" during the afternoon while others went to St. Jacobs Market, an upper class farmer's market near here and reputed to be one of the best of its kind. I had been there five years ago when I attended another Canadian Rally, so I decided to skip it this time. I remember mentioning that everyone thought it was hot here a few days ago. Well, today it WAS hot and that's one of the reasons I elected not to go. Thankfully, it still cools off at night.

One of the organizers of the Rally asked if I would help her with table decorations for tonight's dinner, so I gladly accepted. Pictures are attached and I got to keep one of the bags of flowers since I was the member at our table who had been with the organization the longest! After dinner there was a review of what the Executive Committee discussed this morning (another yawn!). Most of us lingered to bid our farewells to old and new friends since many don't make it to breakfast the day of departure. The people I meet are what makes these rallies so special for me. We all have Roadtreks in common, but that's where the similarities exist. Everyone is from somewhere else, and they come from all walks of life. There are millionaires, former teachers, professional dancers, charter bus drivers, retired military, etc. It's difficult to know the age of most of the trekkers, but I think I'm safe in saying that it's at least age 72. I guess I'm one of the younger ones! And I usually meet someone that I feel a special connection with and that happened at this rally. I won't mention any names because someone may feel slighted if they are reading my blog and I didn't mention them. Tomorrow morning we will depart and bid our final farewells until the next rally.

No comments:

Post a Comment