Wednesday, August 5, 2009

AUGUST 2009 ROADTREK TRIP-THE FIRST FEW DAYS



I left Morehead City, NC on 30 July in my Roadtrek for the start of my 3 week road trip. It is now almost a week later and I'm finally finding the time to start my blog! This is something new for me, but I thought it might be easier for friends and family to keep up with my travels this way. My first destination was Swoyersville/Scranton, PA to attend the wedding of Renie Workman and Jon Meyer. I've been friends with Patti and Doug Workman since 1978 when my husband and I moved to NC. Patti was a Navy Nurse and Doug was in the Marine Corps. We visited them at many of their duty stations including San Diego, Hawaii, Virginia and Memphis where they currently reside. They are more like family than friends and we've shared many memorable experiences. We attended Patti's promotion ceremony when she made Captain and then again when she retired from the Navy. Her son, Chad, graduated from high school that same weekend. They attended my retirement ceremony and party and Patti gave a eulogy when my husband died in 2000. Renie (the bride) was born at Naval Hospital Cherry Point, and they also have two other children, Chad (a graduate of Penn State and now a naval aviator) and Amy, currently a junior at Penn State. Renie is also a graduate of Penn State and is currently the weekend reporter for WNEP Fox News in Scranton. She met Jon at WNEP where he is the weekend news anchor. So they are celebrities of sort in the WNEP viewing area!
Patti grew up in Swoyersville, and she and Doug were married in the same church where Renie and Jon's wedding was held. All three children were baptized there as well. Patti comes from a large Polish - fun loving family so naturally it was a Polish wedding,
The rehearsal dinner was held at an Italian restaurant which sits on a high hill overlooking a baseball field. I'm not sure what team plays there but I believe it's a farm team for the Yankees. They were having a game that night that ended with a huge fireworks display. We had a birds eye view from the patio of the restaurant and it was a spectacular ending to a delicious dinner and wonderful evening.
The wedding was on Saturday at 2 p.m. with the reception at the Scranton Cultural Center, a beautiful historical building in downtown Scranton. Did I mention what a gorgeous bride Renie was?! She looked exquisite and she and Jon seem to be so compatible and so happy! They had a great DJ who really got the crowd involved. The dance floor was huge and it was a pleasant surprise to see so many people actually dancing! There were lots of cousins from both families, many of whom were also Penn State grads, so quite frequently the DJ would play some Penn State songs that got the crowd singing and chanting. They played lots of polkas and had the traditional Babushka dance. The bride wears a Babushka (lace scarf) and the Maid of Honor sits in a chair next to her. Everyone gets in line and pays the Maid of Honor to be eligible to dance with the bride. It's usually just one twirl around the dance floor, but rumor has it that $600 was in the kitty after the dancing was done! Not bad!
After a late night I was up early the next morning to be at the Hilton for a brunch hosted by the groom's uncle. We bade farewell to the bride and groom who were departing for the airport and a honeymoon in Greece. Lucky couple! I had stayed in a hotel for two nights and was back in the Roadtrek again for my next destination - a Roadtrek Rally in Mt. Eaton, OH.
I stayed overnight at a campground in Woodland, PA and awoke to a cool temperature of 50 degrees! It felt wonderful after the heat and humidity in NC. While traveling on I-80 I passed a sign that said 2250 feet - the highest elevation on I-80 East of the Mississippi!
I meant to mention earlier that Scranton is a very pretty, old city with hilly, narrow streets which at times made driving the Roadtrek quite challenging! My GPS kept me straight though, and I sometimes wonder how I did all my previous traveling without it!
I'm going to end this blog here and continue later with the next edition. I will send emails to let you know when it's updated. Love, Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment